February 23, 2016

Grain Free Chocolate Chia Muffins

         
          Last week I ran a 1/2 marathon. I did not want to take the time to train, and decided to do it anyways. I wanted to prove to myself I could just get up and run 13.2 miles. And that I did. I ran with my brother in law, and we made it in under 2 hours, which was my goal. It was long, but surprisingly not that hard for me cardio-wise, however, it killed my knees. At mile 5 I was hurting bad, but I knew I was going to finish no matter what so I focused on finishing and ignored the pain. The next day was rough. I hurt everywhere, and my knees felt like they were about to break! After a few days everything was back to normal except my right foot. At first I thought it was just sore, and then the pain kept increasing. Long story short, I have a hairline fracture to deal with now. I get to wear this massive boot around for 5 weeks. I find it somewhat comical because 2 weeks ago I was talking to one of my trainers at the gym about how I need to take proper rest days. I joked about how I don't like to rest, and don't like taking time off. Now I get to eat my words! I have spent the last week "resting" and I am about to go crazy! I am forced to take 5 weeks from my normal activity and I am still trying to process that. Moral of the story: Don't run a 1/2 marathon without training! While I was completely capable of finishing, my body felt otherwise.


         Enough complaining. On to the muffins. I was experimenting with a few recipes (and realized halfway in I only had 1 cup of almond flour) and came up with this recipe that is more "scone" like than muffin. But since it is served in a tiny muffin tin were calling it a muffin. If you like a more moist muffin omit chia seeds, but it was perfect with some coffee, and the kids didnt seem to complain. The good news is there is no chocolate chips in it (just cocoa powder), so its super low in sugar and the perfect afternoon treat. We all know how much I look forward to my afternoon coffee and snack! Its the little things....

Chocolate Chia Muffins

Ingredients
1 cup almond flour
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
2 large eggs
1/4 cup melted butter or coconut oil
1/3 cup pure maple syrup or raw honey
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 tablespoon chia seeds*
raw sugar to sprinkle on top

* If you want a more moist muffin omit chia seeds

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray mini muffin tin with coconut oil spray, or line with baking cups.

2.In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients (except chia seeds), and whisk around to break up clumps.

3. In a medium sized bowl mix all wet ingredients and chia seeds. Let sit 10 minutes to let chia seeds soften a bit. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry.

4. Drop spoonfuls of batter into muffin tin, filling each about 3/4 of the way full. Sprinkle with a little raw sugar (if desired), and bake 10-14 minutes , until it springs to the touch, or knife inserted comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment