January 22, 2016

Korean Chicken and Cauliflower Fried rice

It has taken me a long time to decide to get back into blogging. It is not because I didn't enjoy it, but it takes time. And time is not really my friend these days. BUT, every time I post a picture of my dinner a handfull of you ask me for the recipe. And I get emails weekly asking for tips, advice, or recipes on eating paleo and/or how to eat healthy. And while I could email each person individually I decided to get back on here and post some recipes. For me, blogs are my main source of recipe inspiration, so I hope I can do that for some of you!

This recipe was super easy and seriously delicious. I hadn't really decided I was going to blog it until after taking horrible iPhone pics and then it was gone. Like the entire dinner devoured before I could even think of getting the Canon out. O well. Next time I make it I will update the picture, but for now all you need to know is this is delicious, and easy, and very kid approved. Also I don't know how these bloggers get these amazing pictures at dinnertime. Im lucky to have everyone sitting waiting to eat. If I dare mention "hold on guys, mommy needs a picture" we would have some crying for sure . So it may be crappy iPhone pics for a while until I figure it all out again. Anyways. The Food.

Korean Chicken 
Recipe was slightly adapted from The Endless Meal

INGREDIENTS
 1.5-2lbs chicken thighs, drumsticks, breasts ( I used a mix of drumsticks and breasts)
4 tablespoons honey
2-3 tablespoons Siracha (or red chili paste)
2 tablespoons coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
sesame seeds and green onions for garnish

DIRECTIONS

1. Place chicken in a resealable bag. Add the honey, siracha, coconut amigos, sesame oil, and garlic and seal the bag. Squish the bag around a little so that the marinade coats all the chicken. Let the chicken marinate 1-24 hours in the fridge.

2. Line an 8X11 baking dish with parchment paper . Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Pour the chicken and all the marinade into the prepared baking dish and move the chicken around, so it is in a single layer. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, turning a few times. Once it is cooked through, Broil the chicken at 425 for another 10-15 minutes until it is nice and dark red. Be sure to keep a close eye on this as all broilers are different.

Cauliflower Fried Rice 
This is one of my all time favorite ways to eat cauliflower. It has so much flavor!

INGREDIENTS

1 large head of cauliflower ( riced in food processor ) * see notes
1-2 teaspoons avocado or olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1 1/2 teaspoons coconut aminos or soy sauce
1 egg, beaten
1/2 onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic finely minced
green onions for garnish
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large skillet (I used a cast iron), over medium high heat, add avocado oil and onions. Saute  a few minutes until onions start to soften, then add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add in riced cauliflower and saute 6-8 minutes until it just starts to soften, stirring often. Push the cauliflower to the side of the pan and add the beaten egg, cooking until soft scramble. Once egg is almost done, stir it all together. Add sesame oil and coconut aminos. Let cook another minute or so until everything is warmed through. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add onion garnish .

* To rice cauliflower:
Working in batches, pulse small florets (just the cauliflower chunks) in food processor until it resembles rice This will take a few pulses . And Voila! You now have riced cauliflower ...

No comments:

Post a Comment