July 19, 2012

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream (Vegan)



Summertime with kids can be rough. It's too hot to play outside, and a kid can only sit in front of a t.v for so long before even they get bored, plus I do not feel good about my kids watching that much T.V (seems so wasteful of their minds), so I don't allow that much time spent sitting idle like that. If I had girls I think it would be a little different. Maybe they would enjoy cooking and cleaning with me, or sitting and coloring for hours. Or maybe they would be just like my precious boys who love being outside just as much as their mommy. Adlai is still small enough that it is not too bad, but Emory is ready for cooler weather (or maybe just I am). Today we made ice cream together. Usually he is not interested in helping me cook or bake, but he always loves testing my creations, and probably more than anything loves the dessert ones. He was so sweet. He sat by the ice cream machine patiently (well as patient as he could) waiting for it to be done. When it finished and I scooped it all into a container, I gave him the ice cream machine bowl, and let him have at it. I usually don't encourage big messes, but today it was much needed, and I don't think there is many cuter things than a 3 year old, in his undies (when is he not??), completely covered in (healthy) chocolate ice cream! He loved it, and had no idea it was actually a dairy free, refined sugar free protein filled treat. This mommas heart was filled. I love seeing my boys get excited, especially when it is over something I have created! 



Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
Dairy Free/Refined Sugar Free
Makes about 2 cups

1 can full fat coconut milk
3 tablespoons honey or agave
2 heaping tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ripe (but not overripe) bananas
3 tablespoons crunchy natural peanut butter (the kind with peanuts as the only ingredient) 
1/4 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped

In a saucepan warm coconut milk, honey, cocoa powder, and cinnamon until all powder is dissolved. 

Place the rest of the ingredients, and the coconut milk mixture in a blender and blend until fully mixed. Place in ice cream maker and make according to manufacturers instructions. When the ice cream starts to become solid, add in almonds, and let mix through a few more minutes. Scoop into a sealed container, and freeze for a couple hours until hardened. (or you can eat it right from the machine like we do :)

1 comment: