July 31, 2012

Baked Zucchini Fritters




I love eating healthy and fresh. I especially love it when the food you cook tastes incredibly amazing. Let's face it, we want to enjoy the food we eat (and sometimes, but very rarely, that means chomping down on a ridiculously cheesy and greasy bite of pizza). I like to think I manage to cook healthy and keep it tasty most days, but there is that occasion when I try to re-create something "healthy" into an even healthier dish. I would like to say that this one is a winning meal. Not only is it packed full of veggies, but it tastes amazing and so full of flavor, not to mention they are baked not fried or sautéed. 
I especially love it when my kids and husband enjoy the meal just as much. I encourage all of you to start, and grow, a small herb garden in your home or backyard. I use fresh herbs in nearly every meal I prepare, and save a lot of money, not to mention the fact that you can be proud it came from your very own plants. Do it. Make it. Eat it. 

O, and because I was out of camera use (Toby has the camera cards full of wedding footage and I have yet to get them back :)), instagram has managed to supply me with decent enough pictures to give you an idea of how these fritters looked. 






Baked Zucchini Fritters
Makes 10-12 fritters

3 large zucchini, grated, excess water squeezed out (place grated zucchini in a paper towel and gently squeeze to get liquid out)
1 red onion, diced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onion
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
1/2 cup to 1 cup almond meal
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon olive oil
salt and pepper as needed

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
In a medium skillet, heat oil, and sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic until softened.  Set aside to cool

In a large bowl mix all ingredients, making sure all water has been drained from zucchini first. Scoop into even sized patties, and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet, or parchment paper. Place in freezer for 20 minutes so everything can set and hold together. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until browned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment