April 2, 2012

Blackberry - Basil Jam & Almond Flour Bread



Never have I ever tasted blackberries and basil together, and boy am I sorry it has taken so long. It is such a beautiful and sophisticated flavor. In fact, I am in the works for a cocktail recipe, maybe a blackberry basil mojito? Anyways, this jam is really delicious, and the hints of the sweet basil are so soft and refreshing. Personally, I love basil, and throw it into everything I can from chopped salads to braised zucchini, but I have never had anything sweet with basil before, and it was an unexpected success. I was watching Giada the other day while I was nursing Adlai, and she made a jam with blackberries and basil, but hers was sweetened (and thickened) with sugar, and I knew right away that I wanted to try this but with honey. 



She spread hers over some delicious toasted baguette, but I decided to make an almond flour loaf to accompany mine, and I loved it! I will include the recipe below. I was expecting something different in the loaf, and wanted it to have more volume, but as disappointed as I was aesthetically, it tasted quite amazing and simple, and the perfect vessel for this jam. You can also use the jam in your yogurt (which is probably my favorite way), dolloped over ice cream, spread on your favorite bread or toasted baguette, or straight off a spoon!



Blackberry & Basil Jam
Because I used honey to sweeten this it did not thicken to a jelly like consistency, but I actually like it more runny, as it feels and tastes more natural. 
Makes about 2 1/2 cups or so of jam
For the Almond Flour Loaf I used THIS recipe

3 (6 oz) pints of fresh blackberries (or you could use frozen, thawed ones)
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
zest and juice of 1 orange
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup honey (depending on sweetness of the blackberries)
pinch salt

In a food processor, gently pulse the basil and juices of the lemon and orange until the basil is almost completely incorporated  into the juice. You don't want any big pieces of basil.
In a medium sized saucepan, add all ingredients and heat over medium-high heat until it reaches a boil. Reduce to a (heavy) simmer, and simmer over medium heat for about 20-30 minutes until it thickens. Use a fork to mash the blackberries along the way so there are no whole berries. Take off the heat. At this point you can either put the super hot jam in jars, and can, or you can let sit at room temperature until it thickens for about an hour, and then refrigerate for up to 4 days.

4 comments:

  1. Your jam is beautiful! I just wish blackberries weren't a fortune around here. I took a look around your blog and love the variety of recipes. I've bookmarked several to try already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! I have both blackberries and basil in my kitchen right now. I will be trying this out tonight. Very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ready to try this...The vibrant color of this recipe is my motivation. I love the intensity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never tried the combination of blackberry and basil – I'm intrigued by it. It certainly looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete