September 27, 2010

Broccoli Pesto Quinoa




         We had to get rid of our sweet Kona (our golden retriever) this past weekend. We are in the process of selling our house, and have no idea where the future takes us, at least not until we move to France in September. We knew we couldn't take her to France, and found an amazing home for her in Colorado. I know she will be happy there (probably happier..I mean what dog wouldn't want 35 acres of beautiful mountain lands to roam on), but I am still sad to see her go. It may seem silly, but she was my baby. We bought Kona when I was 6 months pregnant, and seriously needing to nurture something (apparently I could not wait 6 months until Emory came). I blame it on the hormones and nesting syndrome, but somehow I talked my sweet husband into buying me a puppy for Christmas.

          I know everybody says their dog is the best, but she seriously was the best dog I could ever ask for. My point is, I miss Kona, and while I was working through this "loss" I was needing an easy and comforting meal. I know you are probably getting really tired of quinoa recipes on here, but honestly we just love quinoa. It is so fast and easy to make, not to mention the insane health benefits you get from eating it. I usually make quinoa when I am on a time crunch (which honestly happens to be nearly every night...I swear I have good time management, but having a 15 month old complicates things a bit).

          This is a recipe I have made a couple times in the last few months. It is a great way to get a ton of green veggies all at once, and it tastes quite delicious as well. I found the recipe via 101cookbooks (her blog is one of my favorites) last year. I have changed it a bit, but it is similar to the original. Kona will be dearly missed, but I know she is with an amazing family who loves her to death. I know that the Lord is taking our family to new and greater places, and I know there are hard choices to make along the way. But I am holding on, knowing that He is moving us forward, and taking us to better places.


          Also (I promise this is the last side note, but it's huge!), Josh has finished the website for Live Beyond Boundaries, and there is now a link to donate. This is huge guys! They need 4,500 dollars by the end of October. This is such an amazing thing they are doing to not only raise awareness for Crohns and Colitis, but to inspire people living with limitations to "live beyond boundaries". It is to give hope for people suffering with limitations placed upon their bodies. So please go to the website and start donating for this cause. There are a few donation options, but every penny counts! They need our help... Thanks!


Broccoli Pesto Quinoa
I love broccoli, but even if it is not your thing, you should give it a try..I think you would be amazed at how much good broccoli can be..
Serves 6

3 cups cooked quinoa
5 cups raw broccoli, cut into small florets and stems
2 cups fresh spinach
1 clove of garlic
2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
2 big pinches of salt
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup 1/2 &1/2 or milk
2 tablespoons water
sliced avocado
crumbled feta

Heat the quinoa, and set aside.

Steam the broccoli halfway. You want it to be crunchy, but not raw. In a food processor, puree 2 cups broccoli, garlic, 1/2 cup of the almonds, parmesan, salt and lemon juice. Drizzle in the olive oil, water and milk, and pulse until smooth. 

Just before serving, toss the quinoa and remaining broccoli florets with about 1/2 of the pesto. You can use more if you want. If you like lemon, squeeze some fresh lemon juice on top, or you can leave it without. Sprinkle with almonds, avocado, and feta. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Missy! I miss Kona--but I still got the Quinoa so I guess it wasn't a total loss! Also, in the picture of Kona and Emory, I notice Emory sits on the couch just like his dad! Time to re-train them both!

    ReplyDelete