September 21, 2010

Blueberry, Banana & Coconut Smoothie


I don't know about you, but I really don't like smoothies. At least not the ones you usually get at smoothie shops. I like to taste the fruit, real fruit, not a powder or flavor syrup. Maybe I am the only one who has had overly sweet smoothies, but if you have too, you will most likely enjoy this fruit filled smoothie. It is sweetened with just a touch of honey, and is packed full of antioxidants, protein, potassium, and vitamins. It is the perfect opportunity to boost your immune system before the cold weather hits. Not to mention it is insanely delicious.

You could certainly drink it for breakfast, or as an afternoon snack as I did. Also, I had a ton of ripe bananas that needed used, and I wanted to stay away from baked goods today, so smoothie it was. I understand for some of you a smoothie is a weird concept in late september, but we are still not out of triple digits, so this smoothie was much embraced. Plus for me, it does not matter what time of year it is, coconut and bananas are two ingredients that are always welcome in my kitchen.

On a side note, I am one recipe away from finishing the cookbook! Exciting right?! I realized I have been working on it off and on since April, so I will be thoroughly pleased when it is finished and (hopefully) being read!

Blueberry, Banana & Coconut Smoothie
This is a really easy smoothie to make, and very good for you. I love being able to share my snacks with Emory!
Serves 2 adults

2 large, ripe bananas
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup ice
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1 tablespoon honey
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
splash of milk, plus more if needed

Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Add more milk as needed. 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious. I agree 100% that smoothies from most coffee shops, etc. are powdery and SO far from what a smoothie actually is! Love your creativity, and your recipes. :) Keep on sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I recently featured your smoothie recipe as part of the Crazy Cooking Challenge. I got lots of favorable comments from it. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier: http://ohyoucook.blogspot.com/2012/06/banana-blueberry-and-coconut-smoothie.html

    ReplyDelete