August 22, 2010

Quinoa and Sauteed Veggies


For some reason I feel like I can't catch up on here! This month seems to have flown by in the blink of an eye...I quit my job (after 3 weeks...) because I didn't feel like I was doing the right thing by working. I spent a lot of time (a whole lot of time) praying about it, and after 3 weeks I really felt the Lord telling me to embrace my calling as a stay at home mom, and let me tell you, I have never been happier! Anyways, due to the craziness around here, sometimes I have to make dinner in a hurry, or I just simply don't feel like being in the kitchen all night, which is where this recipe came from. I had tons of veggies needing to be used, a big bag of quinoa in the pantry, and a freezer full of FROZEN meat, so a nice, light, vegetarian (but full of protein) meal made it's way to my plate. It's super easy, and you can substitute any veggie you want here.  I ate is very simple, quinoa piled high with some veggies and goat cheese, but if that sounds too boring you could always stir in some of your favorite pesto, or a nice heirloom tomato sauce. I just didn't have the time, but I sure didn't miss anything here...there is nothing wrong with a dinner full of protein, fiber, and vitamins!

On a side note...For those of you who know us, you know we have been waiting to hear back if Toby was going to be able to go to school in France in January, but it looks like we will be moving to France next September! We will know more in the coming months, and I will definitely be keeping you updated. Until then, make your family a nice healthy (and cheap!) quinoa dinner, and get ready for the Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe soon to come...

Quinoa and Sauteed Veggies
Because the squash and sweet potato have a longer cooking time, I pre-steamed them halfway before sauteeing them. 
Serves 4

2 cups cooked Quinoa*
1 shallot
2 cloves of garlic
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
1/2 acorn squash, peeled and diced into 1 inch cubes
2 zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup of cheery tomatoes
Green onions, slivered almonds, and goat cheese for topping

In a steam bag, or in your steamer, steam sweet potato and squash until just barely fork tender, about 4-5 minutes. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle pan with olive oil. Add in all the veggies, salt and pepper, and saute for about 10 minutes until tender-crisp, and they start to brown. Serve Veggies over quinoa, and top with green onions, slivered onions, and goat cheese.

*For quinoa: In a medium saucepan, add 1 cup of rinsed quinoa, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes until quinoa is cooked. Drain excess water.

No comments:

Post a Comment