May 19, 2010

Tiramisu



Today is my birthday, and I have the most wonderful mother who made me my absolute favorite dessert for my birthday. Tiramisu. I just love that creamy mascarpone filling, and the hint of drunken coffee that permeates the softened, (but not soggy) dainty ladyfingers. Me and Toby like to go out for dessert at this little family owned restaurant here in phoenix that makes a killer tiramisu. The atmosphere is perfect, and they serve the tiramisu with a giant cup of coffee, and we love it. It makes for a great date night! But this time, mom really outdid herself.

Because we are busy tonight, we decided to celebrate my birthday last night, which meant that she had to make the tiramisu on Monday in order for it to set and become perfectly soaked. Then a terrible thing happened, I woke up yesterday morning sicker than a dog, and spent the whole day on the couch, and was not able to eat anything but a piece of toast all day (side note: being sick when you have an 11-month old baby is seriously rough...thank goodness for the help of my family and amazing husband, or I don't know what I would have done!). Anyways, I could not eat, which meant that this perfect tiramisu was not going to make it to my mouth, and I was seriously upset. All of the hard work she put into it, and all for me.

While I ventured off to bed early, they got to enjoy the tiramisu and coffee, which they said was amazing, and I was so happy! There is nothing like making something of that measure, and it turning out wonderful. I was lucky enough to wake up feeling much better this morning, and snuck a bite of the tiramisu, and it was wonderful! Mom did an amazing job, and I am so thankful for her making me such a beautiful and divine birthday dessert. I will be eating my fare share tonight.


Tiramisu

After they ate the Tiramisu last night, they decided on a few things to change next time. We like a more cream to ladyfinger ratio, so we decided that it would be better if you half the ladyfinger amount, but keep the same amount of cream, just putting it in a smaller pan (8x8 square baking dish). Also when she was dipping the ladyfinger, she soaked them a bit too much, and the bottom layer was just a bit too soggy, so when you dip them make sure to only dip them for a second, and not soak them. The recipe below is based on using a 9x13 pan, and using 40 ladyfingers, but if you want thicker creamier layers, half the amount of ladyfingers, and use an 8x8 pan. 



16 oz (2 cups)  Mascarpone cheese
2 cups Heavy Whipping Cream
4 tablespoons   Starbucks liquor (mini bottle), or any other coffee liquor
1 ¼ cups Powdered Sugar
40  Lady Fingers 
3 cups  Espresso or strong brewed coffee
2 teaspoons Coco powder ( and more to sprinkle all over top)


Bring all ingredients to room temperature.

Make the espresso and pour it into a shallow flat-bowl.  Add 2 teaspoons coco, and allow to cool to room temperature.

MIXING:

Place the mascarpone, sugar & liquor in a large bowl, and whisk until well blended, set aside.

In a standing mixer, beat the heavy cream with a beater until stiff peaks form.

Fold the heavy cream into the mascarpone mixture in 3 batches. Mix only enough to blend, over mixing will deflate the heavy cream.

Quickly dip the lady fingers flat in the bottom of the bowl sugared side UP and immediately pull it out. Place each lady finger flat in the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan sugar side DOWN. The lady fingers will quickly absorb the espresso. If you soak them to much you will end up with soggy lady fingers.

ASSEMBLY:

Build a layer of dipped land fingers across the bottom of the pan. 

Spoon 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture across the layer of lady fingers. 

Repeat the assembly all over again.

Dust the top of the tiramisu with coco powder.

Let the tiramisu refrigerate overnight and then ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment