May 14, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

This week has been wonderful and crazy! Since we have moved to Phoenix, we have not entertained much because we never had anyone to entertain for...This week has changed all of that. We finally found a church (I think) we are going to call home, and made some new friends who are really awesome. So of course, what more natural thing to do than host a BBQ for them.

I love entertaining in my home. I love cooking and serving, and all of the fellowship that comes along with it. I have one problem with entertaining people, I sometimes tend to go overboard. I always say I will keep it easy, but somehow red onion marmalade is being served with the hamburgers, because ketchup is just so not going to cut it. Anyways, some good things some from my craziness, like that red onion marmalade which takes your average burger to a whole new level, and also this Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble that was (dare I say) Heavenly.



I wish there was a better name than crumble for this sweet, tart, buttery, flaky and with a zing of lemon dessert. crumble just sounds so normal and boring. And boring this is not. It is summer in your mouth. Perfectly spiced and textured. Warm and fresh. Rhubarb is now here, and I am so thankful! Mom is even more fanatic about rhubarb than I am (in fact my love for it came because of her) and made the most beautiful strawberry rhubarb pie a few weeks ago and I just have to share the pictures..







Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
If you prefer to use another berry, like raspberries, make sure they are fresh and in season. Also keep in mind that rhubarb is extremely tart, and you the sugar is necessary in order to make this a dessert.
Serves 8-10

2 cups Rhubarb, peeled and diced
2 cups Strawberries, hulled and diced
3/4 cup sugar
Zest and Juice of 1 Lemon
2 tablespoons of Cornstarch
1 cup Flour
3/4 cup finely chopped Almonds (or any other nut you prefer, pecans would be great!)
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and butter a 10 inch round gratin dish, or a 9 x13 inch dish. In a medium size bowl whisk the 3/4 cup of white sugar, and the cornstarch. Gently fold in the strawberries and rhubarb, and let sit 5 minutes. Once the berries have started to juice up, add the zest and juice of 1 lemon.  Gently stir until the lemon is incorporated, but do not overmix. Let sit while you make the crumb topping. 
In a medium sized bowl, mix flour, nuts, oats, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Add melted butter, and stir until all the butter is incorporated. Pour the fruit mixture in the baking dish, and then crumble topping evenly on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until brown and bubbly. Let cool 10-20 minutes before serving, and serve with some vanilla ice cream, or homemade whipped cream. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Missy, this is the recipe your mom gave me right? The one you guys have made a bunch of times? I love it! In fact we went to a Strawberry farm today and picked our own strawberries~ I can't wait to make this! Hope I can find some fresh rhubarb tomorrow! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin and I made this last night and it turned out great! We were bummed because we could not find fresh rhubarb anywhere, but we used frozen rhubarb and it worked fine. It tasted delicious and went well with vanilla ice cream on the side =)

    ReplyDelete