February 10, 2013

Harvest Muffins with Cashew Cream






Quick update on the Fam, then back to the food: We are now at week 16 in our pregnancy. I am so thankful we have made it past the first trimester blah. I am thankful to be cooking again, and making much better health choices. I actually feel pretty great now, and have most of my energy back. Woohoo! Emory started Montessori School 3 weeks ago, and loves it! I could not be more happy with our decision to send him there. He is blossoming, and growing, and learning, and seems to be enjoying every second of it! They are an amazing school, and I feel blessed to be giving my son the best education he can have right now. Adlai is now 18 months and boy does this kid have a personality. He is my goofball, my clown. He loves attention, and seems to get plenty of it :). He loves his brother and copies EVERY single thing Emory does. The boys are best buds, and look out for each other already. As a mom, there is nothing more rewarding and heart-melting then watching your kids have so much love and adoration for each other. ASSUMING this next baby is most likely a boy :), I am very excited to see how (he or she) gets to grow in love just like the other two. And lastly, my wonderful and giving husband. When we met I knew Toby was an ambitious man. And throughout our marriage he has achieved and accomplished A LOT. We celebrate our fifth year of marriage this year (in August), and I could not be more proud of the man I married. He is on the brink of some awesome new business adventures. He is an extremely terrific people person, and has found himself in this amazing network of people who are all entrepreneurs and of the like. I love seeing him grow, inspire, and be inspired. He is my best friend, and I am so lucky he works so so so very hard so me and our boys can stay home together and make the best memories I could ever ask for. Life is wonderful :), and we are so blessed. 


Now, back to the food. Seeing as how I am 16 weeks pregnant and need to be making smart health choices, I have been experimenting with a lot of grain free sweets, and have loved them all! Unfortunately I didn't have my camera for most of them. Finally yesterday I was able to photograph these delicious muffins. They are delicious and really moist. Packed full with carrots, apples and zucchini. Spiced with a hint of cinnamon, and finished with a dairy free cashew cream. Absolutely wonderful! 


Harvest Muffins with Cashew Cream
Gluten/Grain/Refined Sugar Free
Adapted from Roost Blog
For the Cake

  • 3 cups almond flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 melted butter, ghee, or oil of choice
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup grated zucchini
  • 1 cup grated apple
  • 1 cup grated carrot
Preheat Oven to 350F. Grease a muffin pan, or use individual molds as pictured above. In a bowl combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients. Pour wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to incorporate. Pour into greased tins and cook for 25-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

For the Cashew Cream (Makes almost 2 Cups)
  • 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 3 hours, water discarded
  • 1/2 cup fresh apple juice
  • 2 medjool dates, pitted
  • 1 TBS honey
  • 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, pod discarded
In a high speed blender combine ingredients until very smooth. Spread on muffins.

Cake can be stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days at room temperature, or refrigerated for a week. 




No comments:

Post a Comment