August 29, 2012

Kale Chips











Kale chips. The new "healthy foodies" snack. I had to try. 



I love kale. I have tried kale (among other hearty greens) pretty much anyway you can imagine. In soups, raw in salads, steamed, sautéed...you get my point. I was expecting these to be my new favorite way to eat kale, and although they were super delicious and crunchy, I think I prefer my kale raw.  The chips were really good, and I will make them again, lots, because my boys loved them, and I love watching my boys experience food in a new way. Emory loves chips, but he only gets them on occasion, and now I have a way to let him eat his chips, but also create a healthy palate for him for the future. PERFECT. So go make some kale chips, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. 


On a side note: Hopefully you will be seeing posts more often now. I am so happy to say that my baby (He is 1, but he will be my baby for much longer than that :) is finally sleeping through the night! Praise the Lord! It only took a full year, but wow does it feel good to get some rest. Now I have more energy to keep up with everything.....

Kale Chips
I found that lacinto or dinosaur kale made the best chips because it is a lot more "crunchy" of a piece of kale, but has a more delicate, less bitter taste.

10-12 (or as many as you want) pieces of kale, stripped off the stem, torn or cut into whatever size pieces you want. (I know, not much of a recipe here)
Sea Salt
Olive Oil
Lemon juice (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Wash and thoroughly dry kale. Lightly toss with a drizzle of olive oil. Lay flat on sheet pan. Sprinkle with sea salt and a small squeeze of lemon (if using). Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until kale is crisped and crunchy. Turn pieces over at halfway point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment