June 6, 2012

Roasted Red Pepper Pesto

First note, please excuse the horrible photography. My camera is out of use, and I had to use a different camera, and we did not get along..


Today I am very thankful for my husband and children. I married a man who is so ambitious, so driven, so handsome, and so very talented. He is the father to our two beautiful boys, whom I can't possibly adore more.  They bring so much love and joy into our home. I can't ask for a better job than being their mom and wife. Today I made a red pepper pesto. Simple but healthy, and homemade. As I was getting it all prepared I looked at the kitchen which at that moment was in utter chaos, kids were everywhere and getting into everything, and it could have been a moment of exhaustion and frustration, but this is the reason why I love my husband so much. (complete bunny trails on the sentence structure..sorry about that). He has showed me how to look at the decisions in life, which we have chosen to do, and feel no regret, but instead embrace them and find the good in everything. To look at what could be a stressful day, and see how perfect it really was. I did this while making pesto. I didn't at all like my messy kitchen, and the boys were a little loud for my head, and I had a moment where I thought, "why did I choose to make this dinner, I should have..." and I thought, what a beautiful thing that I am able to create delicious and healthy dinners for my wonderfully healthy boys. 


What an amazing thing being a mom, especially a stay at home mom is. I get to experience so many moments I would never take back. This pesto is just the beginning of a great dinner for us tonight, and I can't wait to share this meal with my family. They are everything to me!


Roasted Red Pepper Pesto
I like to take the extra step to roast the peppers myself, but if that's not your thing, or you are pressed for time (although it does not take that long) I would assume jarred red peppers would work just as well. Also I did not put garlic in mine, but if you want it to have a kick, 1-2 cloves would work perfectly. 
Makes about 2-3 cups depending on how thin you make it and how big your peppers are

3 red bell peppers
1 cup walnuts, toasted
2 cups roughly chopped leeks (white and light green parts only), rinsed thoroughly
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon fresh oregano
2 tablespoons fresh basil, (a good handful)
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more to thin
1-2 tablespoons water, to thin

Put peppers (whole) on a foil lined baking sheet, and broil until skin is blistered and charred, about 20 minutes. Turn peppers as needed. Remove from oven and place in a sealed plastic bag, and let cool to room temperature (this will help the skin to steam off). Remove skin and seeds and roughly chop peppers. 

While the peppers cool, saute leeks in a touch of olive oil, until tender and browned. 

In a food processor, pulse walnuts, oregano, basil, sauteed leeks, and garlic if using. Pulse until mixture is fragrant and nuts are roughly ground. Add in the rest of the ingredients and pulse until desired smoothness. Add in more olive oil or water to thin to desired thickness. Salt and pepper to taste, and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I was over at Tai Ann's house tonight and she had made this. Let me just say that it is amazing!!! I'm not usually a fan of peppers, but it was delicious!!! WOW! This is something I will definitely make! Great job, Missy!!

    ReplyDelete