February 10, 2011

Mango & Avocado Salad with a Walnut Dressing




Today was an amazing and exhausting day. Me and Toby took Emory to Flagstaff to go to the snow for the first time. I was worried he would be cold, and hate it, but instead he loved it, even without his gloves on. It was a long day of driving, but worth every minute to make that memory with him. That all has nothing to do with this salad, and this salad is my new favorite. It is so unbelievable, light and refreshing, and although we are not into spring quite yet, we fully welcomed a refreshing salad. 





Mango & Avocado Salad with a Walnut Dressing
I found this recipe on one of my favorite blogs, and could not really change anything because it was so dang delicious! Next time I will try adding some freshly shaved parmesan, or some feta cheese..
Only slightly adapted from Green Kitchen Stories
Serves 4
1 mango, peeled and cut into strips
1 avocado, seed and skin removed, cut into slices
1/2 cup to 1 cup sprouts (I used alfalfa)
4 cups spinach or arugula
a handful of walnuts, dry roasted

For the Dressing:
2 tablespoons walnuts, dry roasted
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Sea salt
Lemon pepper

Mash the walnuts, and mix with the rest of the dressing ingredients.

4 comments:

  1. Being Puertorican, Mango and Avocado are flavors that I grew up with. We had both an avocado and a mango tree in our backyard. They are giant trees, but we did have a giant backyard. This salad looks so refreshing and it's a great way to pair those flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, this looks absolutely scrumptious! Love the idea of combining mango and avocado in a salad...it sounds so tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you're so right, we need something summery and refreshing already! I love the inclusion of sprouts. I've seen packaged sprouts at the supermarket today, but they were so expensive that I thought I'd grown my own :) last winter as I was pregnant I made tons of wheat sprouts :) Thank you for a reminder to start eating more healthfully! Great looking salad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to buy frozen mango this time of year, but it is good (not as good as fresh). This will make a great salad!

    ReplyDelete