September 13, 2010

Tomatillo Salsa

I have to say I had my doubts about tomatillos. For those of who who don't know, tomatillos are just green tomatoes. They are very tangy and bitter, and taste much better when roasted. They come in a husk, and their skin is extremely sticky. I have been eying a few recipes for a tomatillo salsa, and I planned on using it for a healthy huevos rancheros, or for some black bean burritos. The recipe is simple, just your basic salsa components, but the veggies are roasted first to deepen the flavors. As far as taste goes, it was really good. Next time I will try adding another jalapeno (I forgot that roasting it softens the flavor, and it just wasn't spicy enough for me).

Honestly, this was a hurried recipe. I have been crunching out the cookbook, and it has left little time for any other cooking. But I was in the grocery store and saw a bag of tomatillos for a dollar and I couldn't resist. So I came home and cranked out this recipe, and had nothing to use it for and so it is sitting in my freezer as I write, waiting to be used in a delightful recipe. But until then (which should be soon) in the freezer it will be. I have four more recipes to make (to get some pictures) for the cookbook, and then I should be editing and sending it in soon! I am sorry the blog has kind of been on the backburner (not by choice) lately, but soon enough I will have more time to post more than once a week (and get some better pictures!). Until then you have some good tomatillo salsa to eat. It would be absolutely delicious in some enchiladas, tacos, scrambled eggs, or right alongside some chips. I am off to go play with Emory...Have a great day!


Tomatillo Salsa
This recipe makes a lot of salsa. It filled my food processor to the top, which is exciting because now I can experiment where to use it in different recipes...

1 1/2 lbs tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed
1 white onion, cut into 4 pieces
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
i head of cilantro
salt
garlic salt
pepper
1 teaspoon sugar (to balance out the acidity in the tomatoes)
1 jalapeno (if you want it with more heat you can use 2), stem removed
Juice of 1 1/2 limes

Heat your oven to broil. On a cookie sheet toss the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and jalapeno with a little olive oil, and broil until browned, about 10-15 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Toss into food processor with the rest of the ingredients, and pulse/blend until it reaches the consistency you want. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good! I use tomatillos for verde enchiladas; it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete