August 1, 2010

Peach and Cinnamon Fruit Leather

I am sad to say that this kitchen journey was more of a mess than a success for me. I had good intentions for this recipe, and the most beautifully ripe peaches, and yet somehow I managed to destroy it all (well most of it). I have seen a lot of recipes for homemade fruit leathers, and one in particular I have been wanting to try.

 The original recipe was for raspberry vanilla fruit leather, but when I went to the store the raspberries were expensive, and so I went with peaches and decided to take a more autumn approach by adding cinnamon, nutmeg, and honey. The recipe itself is wonderful, and actually ridiculously easy to make. So why and how did I manage to screw it all up? Let me explain.. I think the key here is spreading your liquid out thin enough (something I definitely did not do). I thought it was thin, until 10 hours later when the entire middle section was still liquid, covered by a film of barely done leather. If you have a dehydrator, this recipe is probably flawless, but when you are using your oven, and on low heat, I suggest spreading this baby out super thin, and I mean literally paper thin. My edges were perfectly done, in fact they were quite amazing, but the center never set enough, and I was getting tired of waiting around for it to finish. I hope someone gives this a try, and lets me know how the adapted version turns out. Hopefully you will have more success than me!
Side note: I got a new part time job at a bakery here in Goodyear. I start tomorrow, so wish me luck! I haven't worked since Emory was born, so it will be a whole new thing again!

Peach and Cinnamon Fruit Leather
These fruit leathers are delicious. Perfectly sweet, and balanced by the cinnamon and nutmeg. Whatever you do, make sure and spread them out really thin!
Adapted from Coco at Roostblog
Makes 2 cookies sheets

6 very ripe peaches, halved and pitted (you can leave the skin on)
1 teaspoon good quality vanilla extract (or 1/2 vanilla bean scraped)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 -1/3 cup honey (depending on your peaches, you may need more or less honey)
1/4 cup water

Heat oven to lowest heat possible (mine won't go any lower than 170 degrees). Put all ingredients into a blender, or food processor, and blend until liquid is smooth and pureed. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, and divide liquid evenly between both. Spread until 1/8 -1/4 inch thick. Dehydrate for 4-8 hours, or until leathers are completely dried.

*If you have a dehydrator, and want to make it that way go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment